Opposition leader Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu, widely known as Bobi Wine, is reported to have quietly left Uganda and crossed into a neighbouring East African country about a week ago, according to officials familiar with the developments. The reports come amid rising political tension and public disagreement between the opposition figure and the government over his safety.
One official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said information reaching authorities indicates that Kyagulanyi departed the country roughly seven days ago. The official added that this is what they are currently aware of, although no formal statement has been issued to confirm the destination or circumstances of his travel.
The reported exit follows several days of uncertainty after Kyagulanyi announced on January 16 that he had gone into hiding. At the time, he claimed that his Magere residence had been raided by military personnel and that his life was in danger. Since then, he has used social media platforms to repeatedly state that state agencies were targeting him, claims that have been firmly rejected by government officials.
The Minister for Information, Communications Technology and National Guidance, Chris Baryomunsi, last week dismissed suggestions that Kyagulanyi was being hunted by security forces. He insisted that the opposition leader is not wanted by any arm of the state and has no reason to remain in hiding.
Speaking on behalf of the government, Baryomunsi said no security agency, including the police or the army, is pursuing Kyagulanyi. He urged the National Unity Platform leader to return home and continue his political activities within the framework of the law, noting that other former presidential contenders are living freely and peacefully in the country.
Prime Minister Robinah Nabbanja also weighed in on the matter, describing Kyagulanyi’s decision to go into hiding as unnecessary and driven by political motives. She said no one was searching for him and urged him to return to his family, dismissing his actions as political drama.
Kyagulanyi, who has contested for the presidency twice, recently lost the January 15 presidential election to incumbent Yoweri Museveni. He has since rejected the outcome, alleging widespread electoral malpractice and vote rigging. The government has consistently denied these claims.
The opposition leader further alleged that security forces attacked his home and assaulted his wife, Barbie Itungo Kyagulanyi. These accusations were rejected by the Chief of Defence Forces, Muhoozi Kainerugaba, who stated that the military does not target women.
Despite the reports circulating about his departure from Uganda, Kyagulanyi has not publicly confirmed that he has left the country. His party officials have also remained tight-lipped regarding his current location, leaving many questions unanswered as the political standoff continues.
