State Expands Terrorism Case Against NUP’s Muwanga Kivumbi

The state has widened its terrorism case against Butambala County Member of Parliament and National Unity Platform Buganda Deputy President Muwanga Kivumbi, bringing 24 additional suspects into the matter.

Kivumbi appeared before the Butambala Chief Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday for the mention of the case. Prosecutors told court that investigations had been broadened and now cover more people they claim are linked to the same alleged incidents.

According to the prosecution, the case stems from violence that reportedly occurred during the election period. The state alleges that the events led to the deaths of seven people and argues that the nature of the violence meets the legal definition of terrorism.

Among the newly listed suspects are Buruhan Matovu, Akram Bukenya Tumusiime, Wilson Bulinda, Swabur Wagolina, Niclas Kiberu, Fahad Kasozi, Kelvin Kayanja, Twaib Sessanga, Brian Sewanyana, Brian Mwanguzi, Nicholas Walakira, Musa Sekaggo, Joseph Wakikatu, Rahim Mubiru, Jonathan Ssentongo, Madina Ssemaganda, Hanifa Nakibuuka, Paul Mawanda, Jackson Ddungu, Yusuf Ramadhan Kiwanuka, and Brian Owori.

Kivumbi’s lawyers strongly objected to the way investigations have been handled. Leading the defence team, Busiro East MP and senior counsel Medard Ssegona told court that his client has never recorded a statement regarding the terrorism charges. He added that at the time of arrest, Kivumbi was not informed of the specific offence he was facing and only learned about the charges when he was taken to court.

The defence also questioned the reliability of the investigations. Ssegona said that when Kivumbi tried to explain that ten people were killed at his home during the election period, an officer allegedly dismissed the account. He argued that investigators who were unfamiliar with the area ignored information from the accused while pushing their own version of events.

This disagreement goes to the heart of the case. While the prosecution insists that seven people died, the defence maintains that the figure is disputed and requires proper verification.

Ssegona told court that cases of this gravity demand open, professional, and impartial investigations. He argued that if the process was flawed, then any evidence gathered should not stand.

The defence further complained that Kivumbi was transferred without his lawyers or even his wife being informed, describing the move as unconstitutional and a violation of his rights.

They asked the magistrate to reject the prosecution’s application. Alternatively, they requested that all evidence collected so far be discarded and that fresh investigations be carried out by neutral officers. They also urged court to order investigations into the killings allegedly committed at Kivumbi’s home to establish the true number of deaths.

The court adjourned the matter to 17 February for further mention and a ruling on the defence application.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *